Research and Teaching Assistant, Website Coordinator
Office Hours Winter Term 2018/19
- Mondays, 10.30-11.30h
- and by appointment
- Please sign up for my office hours following the link below.
- cognitive approaches to literature and culture
- empirical approaches to literature and culture
- narratology, reception theory
- contemporary British fiction
Vaeßen, Julia and Aljoscha Merk. 2019. "Models of Communication and their Application in the Study of Literature: Toward an Integration of Cognition and Culture." In Modelle in der Literatur- und Sprachwissenschaft sowie Ihrer Didaktik / Models in Literary Studies and Linguistics, edited by Sven Strasen and Julia Vaeßen, 29-51. Trier: WVT.
Strasen, Sven and Julia Vaeßen, eds. 2019. Modelle in der Literatur- und Sprachwissenschaft sowie Ihrer Didaktik / Models in Literary Studies and Linguistics. Festschrift für Peter Wenzel. Trier: WVT.
Vaeßen, Julia. 2018. Cultural Models and the Construction of Literary Character: Toward a Cognitive and Cultural Theory of Reception. PhD Thesis, RWTH Aachen University.
Kutsch, Caroline, Julia Vaeßen and Sven Strasen. Forthcoming. "T-Rex – Triggers of Reader Emotion and Experientiality: Combining Empirical Literary Studies, Corpus Linguistics and Affective Computing." Forthcoming.
Vaeßen, Julia, and Sven Strasen. 2015. “A History of Anthony in 3 1/2 Stories: History, Memory, and Fabulation in Julian Barnes’s The Sense of an Ending.” In Last Things: Essays on Ends and Endings, edited by Gavin Hopps, Stella Neumann, Sven Strasen, and Peter Wenzel. Aachen British and American studies 19. Frankfurt am Main: Lang.
Vaeßen, Julia, and Timo Lothmann. 2014. “Do You Read Me? Metaphor as a Pathway to the Conceptualisation of Literary Identity.” International Journal of Literary Linguistics (3.1): 1–18.
Vaeßen, Julia. 2010. “Challenging Binary Oppositions: Carter Revard's 'Dragon-Watching in St. Louis' (1993).” In Discourses of Mobility - Mobility of Discourse: The Conceptualization of Trains, Cars and Planes in 19th- and 20th-Century Poetry, edited by Peter Wenzel and Sven Strasen, 185–92. Trier, Germany: Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Trier.
"Cultural Models and Literary Characters: A Cognitive Cultural Theory of Character Construction." Styles and Methods (PALA 2018). Birmingham, England. 28. Juli 2018. (with Sven Strasen)
"Cultural Models and the Construction of Literary Character." Aachen Lectures on Empirical and Cognitive Literary Studies. Aachen, Germany. 18. Juni 2018.
"A Cognitive Reader Response Theory of Literary Character." Conference Style and Response: Minds, Media, Methods. Sheffield, England, 11. November 2016. (with Sven Strasen)
"T-REX: Triggers of Reader Emotion and Experientiality". Stylistics Reading Group Symposium 2016: Experiencing Fictional Worlds. Nottingham, England, 21 June 2016. (with Sven Strasen)
“Do You Read Me? Metaphor as a Pathway to the Conceptualisation of Literary Identity”. First International Conference on Cognition and Poetics. Osnabrück, Germany, April 2013. (with Timo Lothmann)
“A History of Anthony in 3 ½ Stories: History, Memory and Fabulation in Julian Barnes’s The Sense of an Ending.” Colloquium on Ends and Endings in Literature and Culture, St. Andrews, Scotland. March 2012. (with Sven Strasen)
“The Influence of Cultural Models on Identity Construction in Modern British Literature.” BritCult Graduate Forum. Mainz, Germany. November 2011.
- German Association of University Teachers of English & European Society for the Study of English (ESSE)
- International Society for the Empirical Study of Literature (IGEL)
- Poetics and Linguistics Association (PALA)
- German Association for the Study of British Cultures (BritCult)
- seminar/tutorial: Practical Introduction to Literary Studies (2010 – 2018)
- seminar/tutorial: Introductory Seminar Literary Studies (2011 – 2017)
- seminar/tutorial: Application of Periods of English and American Literary History (winter term 2018/19)
- seminar: The American Election 2016 and its Aftermath (winter term 2018/19)
- seminar: Cognitive Reception Theory (winter term 2017/18)
- seminar: Poetry and Religion (winter term 2016/17)
- seminar: Characters in Fictional Worlds (winter term 2015/16 & summer term 2016)
- seminar: Contemporary British Theatre (winter term 2014/15)
- seminar: The British Novel after 1980 (winter term 2013/14)
- seminar: Memory and Identity in 19th and 20th Century Literature (winter term 2010/11)
- research colloquium for B.A. students (winter term 2017/18)
01/2013 - 03/2019
Research and Teaching Assistant at the Chair of English Literature, RWTH Aachen University
04/2011 – 03/2013
Assistant Lecturer at the Chair of English Literature, RWTH Aachen University
10/2010 – 03/2011
Teaching Assistant at the Chair of English Literature, RWTH Aachen University
10/2005 – 06/2010
State Examination for Teachers at Secondary Schools (Erstes Staatsexamen für das Lehramt an Gymnasien und Gesamtschulen), RWTH Aachen
Final thesis: "Memory, Identity and Unreliability in the Novels of Kazuo Ishiguro"
PhD scholarship awarded by the scholarship body of the Catholic Church in Germany (Cusanuswerk, 2011 – 2013)
undergraduate scholarship awarded by the German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes, 2008 – 2010)
undergraduate scholarship awarded by the scholarship body of the Catholic Church in Germany (Cusanuswerk, 2007 – 2010)